No news is good news. Yea?
The past two weeks have been pretty routine. I have been digging into work a bit, kicking off the research stage of the facilitator project and putting the team to the test. So far, everyone is coming up aces. I feel very lucky to have coworkers willing to invest in the process and see where it takes us. Currently we are setting up expert interviews and doing some knowledge gathering through audits, site visits, and team sharing. It's been good. Even better is how included I am starting to feel. Between belly dancing classes, drinking nights with coworkers and late night dance parties with friends, it's starting to feel like home. Or atleast a new home.
There are moments that throw you for a loop though and make you question everything. Getting sick, and loneliness are the big ones. Luckily I seem to have conquered the queasy stomach, atleast in Bangalore. The loneliness aspect is the part I will always struggle with though. Location doesn't matter. Loneliness is a bitch because you are never really alone. It's all in your head and how you interpret your situation. Even in the confines of my cozy San Francisco apartment I found myself wanting more. More people, more activities, more me. It was the biggest fear I had going into this journey. Meeting myself and getting bored.
Well, I am not bored here. Much. But I still get restless. My restlessness has come from small moments, like getting a spammed email from a friend I haven't spoken to in a while or watching Moneyball where the plot jumps between the SF bay area and Boston. It is during these small moments that I realize how far I have come and how far is left to go. The ocean is vast and all you have is a raft, desperately looking for an island. Ultimately it's all a mirage, though. You may be in the ocean, but you are actually swimming by a dock that is filled with your family and closest friends.
India has such a warm heart. The people I have met are some of the friendliest and most open anywhere. I am indeed not alone, but damn it are some days harder than others. Inevitably it all evens out. This week I went to a farewell party for Jon, and organized a social between the frog Bangalore office, Quest and Quicksand. We christened our newly acquired grill, played some ping pong, and had some delicious thyme-infused pomegranate cocktails. Today all the DI fellows are coming to Bangalore for our mid-point summit. Next week I go to Hampi. There is always something to look forward to.
It never seemed so strange...
The past two weeks have been pretty routine. I have been digging into work a bit, kicking off the research stage of the facilitator project and putting the team to the test. So far, everyone is coming up aces. I feel very lucky to have coworkers willing to invest in the process and see where it takes us. Currently we are setting up expert interviews and doing some knowledge gathering through audits, site visits, and team sharing. It's been good. Even better is how included I am starting to feel. Between belly dancing classes, drinking nights with coworkers and late night dance parties with friends, it's starting to feel like home. Or atleast a new home.
There are moments that throw you for a loop though and make you question everything. Getting sick, and loneliness are the big ones. Luckily I seem to have conquered the queasy stomach, atleast in Bangalore. The loneliness aspect is the part I will always struggle with though. Location doesn't matter. Loneliness is a bitch because you are never really alone. It's all in your head and how you interpret your situation. Even in the confines of my cozy San Francisco apartment I found myself wanting more. More people, more activities, more me. It was the biggest fear I had going into this journey. Meeting myself and getting bored.
Well, I am not bored here. Much. But I still get restless. My restlessness has come from small moments, like getting a spammed email from a friend I haven't spoken to in a while or watching Moneyball where the plot jumps between the SF bay area and Boston. It is during these small moments that I realize how far I have come and how far is left to go. The ocean is vast and all you have is a raft, desperately looking for an island. Ultimately it's all a mirage, though. You may be in the ocean, but you are actually swimming by a dock that is filled with your family and closest friends.
India has such a warm heart. The people I have met are some of the friendliest and most open anywhere. I am indeed not alone, but damn it are some days harder than others. Inevitably it all evens out. This week I went to a farewell party for Jon, and organized a social between the frog Bangalore office, Quest and Quicksand. We christened our newly acquired grill, played some ping pong, and had some delicious thyme-infused pomegranate cocktails. Today all the DI fellows are coming to Bangalore for our mid-point summit. Next week I go to Hampi. There is always something to look forward to.
It never seemed so strange...
0 comments:
Post a Comment