Bucket baths, I can take. Washing my
arse with my hand, check. Body wrenching abdominal pain that leads to
flushing of one's insides? Meh, I am over it. In light of the new
year I will share one of the more comedic and embarrassing
moments of the past month. I know this is what people really want to
hear and since this event happened on the birth of the new
year, it seems timely and somewhat appropriate to share.
I moved into my apartment this past
week. My roommate was gone for the first few days but her cousin
crashed here one of the nights she was gone (it turns out this is his crash pad most
weekends). I woke up one morning to beautiful temple music and introduced myself. Turns out he is quite the conversationalist.
He is super friendly and very outgoing. I left for work shortly
thereafter but our conversation carried over into the next morning
when I saw him again. He chatted me up and we decided to go to a late
brunch together. I had some plans that afternoon and was meeting
people later to celebrate the new years, so a good brunch could fit in nicely. We
ended up leaving much later than I was expecting, decidedly Indian
time, and he took me to a restaurant way across town, Sunny's. It
looked clean, had a seemingly great menu and I felt pretty good about
it.
Anyone who has travelled to India knows
that you are constantly searching for signs of contamination whenever
you eat. You develop an eagle eye for leftover water on plates and
cups. You try to inconspicuously check out the water tank to see if
it is filtered and notice the clientele of every establishment. Kids
in the restaurant is a 4 star go-ahead for eating. I am usually so
good at this, but I dropped my guard. I didn't see any water drops, there were
kids in the restaurant, but I didn’t check the water! I assumed it
was fine. I was lulled into safety and you know where that leaves
you... in the shitter. Literally.
I felt so full after brunch. In fact, a
few hours later, after meeting up with Kate and Ramsey I was still
really full. This didn't bode well. I hadn't eaten that much, my
stomach was swollen and these guys were hanging in my room talking
about grabbing some booze and dinner for the evening. My bathroom is
attached to my bedroom and I knew I had to do a number in there, but
Kate and Ramsey were chilling on my bed. Can I tell you how
embarrassing it is to talk about stomach sickness, even if the people
you are telling are understanding, it's still hard to say those
words, “My belly is on fire, can you give me a minute?” So, I
chose the passive route. I put on some music and high-tailed it to
comfort. I came out feeling good, so all is well, right?
This story is nowhere near done.
We decide to hit the markets for some
booze and I could feel the battle in my belly starting up again. We
walked out of my apartment and a few steps down, I knew this alien
needed out. Now! I raced up the stairs, opened the door and barely
made it to the bathroom. Sunny's is not so sunny on the way up. But
it was quick and I felt aces afterwards. Not so bad, maybe my body is
getting good at identifying the enemy and purging it in a timely
manner? Once again Kate and Ramsey were very supportive, but I felt
good. There was no need to alter plans for some bad bruschetta. We
picked up some booze and came back to the apartment and started
drinking before dinner.
All was well. We went up to the terrace
on the roof of the building and caught up. It was lovely t-shirt
weather and we were surrounded by trees. Not a bad new years eve. We
stayed up there for a bit and then decided it was time to grab some
food. I knew once we got to the restaurant that I was going to have
trouble eating anything. Even though I felt much better, the smell of
food was a little nauseating. I picked at my dinner and decided I
would take it easy on the drinks as well. There was no need to prove
anything. Giardia is a nasty and decisive judge.
Some of Anand's friends came over and
an impromptu party began. We played some fun tunes, started a bit of
a dance party, and just generally had a good time. There were plenty
of drinks, some American style cheese chips, and we discovered our
two new friends had Dire Straits tattoos on their arms. They were
brothers from another mother, but both loved the Straits.
Fascinating! The clock struck midnight and Bangalore lit up with
fireworks. All around us were shows. A few were so close, it sounded
like it came from out apartment building. The skies got smoky and the
night felt so nice. It was a lot of fun.
Kate and Ramsey decided to crash in my
bedroom, rather than taking a sketchy after-hours rickshaw back to
their apartment. We settled in for the night and about an hour into
sleep, I knew there was trouble brewing. My stomach had swollen and I
could hear the battle starting. They say that the biggest victims
aren't those fighting, but the bystanders on the sideline. Oh man, I
was gonna get massacred. Kate and Ramsey were sleeping between my bed
and the bathroom. They would hear everything! There was no hiding
this fight, though. I had to make peace.
I swallowed my pride and paid homage to
the gods. Again.
Oh man, the explosives could have given
the fireworks a run for their money. So nasty. So incredibly
embarrassing, but what are you gonna do? I could literally see my
stomach getting smaller and it felt so good. The third time is a
charm, apparently. The war was over and left only a few battle scars, my
pride being the biggest. But I guess this is what I signed up for-
adventure, challenge, and experimentation. Little did I know what
price this would take on my humility. Ah well, it's good to start
fresh in the new year.
I will have to tell you guys about the
train ride from Mysore at some point. It involved a sleeper train, my
seatmate, some cream and a blanket... maybe this is an in-person
story? It'll give you all something to ask me about when I get home.
Happy New Year! I wish everyone peace and prosperity in 2012.
1 comments:
We slept right through it. No idea.
Post a Comment