Sunday, October 9, 2011

Indian kung fu

One of the (unfounded and completely ridiculous) things I have been worrying about lately is what to do in India with all my spare time. I have been imagining myself as a lost puppy without friends, without events and without the nonsensical entertainment I am used to having fill my days. In the spirit of nonsensical thoughts, I have been imagining even more ridiculous things I could use my time to do when I get bored (yea, I know).

My list includes learning to felt, picking up an instrument, learning to tie knots and mastering kung fu. If you know me, you know that I can't stand crochet and knitting crafts. I don't have the patience and I would much rather have a power tool in hand. I want something that purrs or has the potential to bite back. Learning to felt would be super rad, but I can't imagine sitting in 90 degree humidity with felted zombie pieces across my lap. Maybe if I was moving to a Scandinavian country where winter includes tunneling through snow and stocking up on strong liquor, but this is India we are talking about. The land of the hot winds and white tigers. Yea, felting probably isn't appropriate.

Next is picking up an instrument. I have always wanted to learn bass but this is a very heavy thing to lug across customs. I can't imagine the hatred I would evoke from my new neighbors as I muddle through power chords and embarrass myself learning Strutter or Come Together. Although, I can imagine the disdain of my new friends as I seek affirmation for my deafeningly raw talent... On second thought, the recorder seems like a much more practical instrument. It's compact, light, and of the wind variety. Who doesn't love whistles?

Tying knots is completely doable! I can't imagine it taking 6 months for full mastery, so the Ashley Book of Knots is coming with me. "Every practical knot. What it looks like. Who uses it. Where it comes from and how to tie it." Yes, completely ridiculous and oh so useful for my future naval/ design career. Also, I love that the book uses hand-drawn skulls as status icons. What does it mean? The death knot? I guess I'll find out.


This leaves mastering kung fu, which is just silly. Establishing a yoga practice? Maybe. Learning to cook with Ayurvedic techniques? More possible. Kung fu in India? Not unheard of, but probably not the source I am looking for. This idea was probably seeded after a long day in front of the computer or after kicking back a few too many scotches at the bar. Because of the sordid nature of its creation, this idea will be promptly removed from the list.

But that's just it, the source of my concern. What will I do if I can't call someone at 9 to meet me for a drink to close the stomach? It's like a good piece of cheese at the end of the meal, a routine that will probably be healthy for me to break but will take some time getting used to.

I am ready, I think. As ready as I can be for something that is so undefined. It is exciting and scary and amazing all at once. One thing is certain, I will be sure to share all the lovely felted elephants with knotted leashes that I create during my stay.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About